Mumbai: The BCCI postponed the knockout matches of the U-19 Cooch Behar Trophy on Monday after a massive COVID-19 outbreak among the participating teams.
About 50 positive cases in eight teams were detected ahead of the knockout phase that started Tuesday in Pune, PTI has learned.
“The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced Monday the postponement of the Cooch Behar Trophy knockout stage matches following some positive COVID-19 cases within the team environment.
“To keep everyone’s health and safety in mind, the knockout matches being held in Pune have been suspended until further notice. The BCCI had played 93 matches at 20 locations in the competition phase.”
“The Council will continue to monitor the situation and identify a new window once the situation improves,” the BCCI said in a statement.
Last week the BCCI was forced to postpone all domestic events, including the Prime Minister’s Ranji trophy due to an increase in COVID-19 cases across the country.
“The decision was made after about 50 positive cases were found, the report came last night and the decision was made this morning to postpone the tournament,” a source at BCCI said.
The tournament was to be played at four locations in Pune.
No fewer than 1,79,723 new cases were reported in India on Monday.
Kerala Actress Sexual Assault: Survivor Says Attempts To Silence Her