Rohit Sharma turns 33 today. Born on April 30th 1987, the Hitman has given us enough moments to reminisce. He is the only cricketer in the history of cricket to score more than one ODI double-hundred, having scored three of them. In January 2020, Sharma was named as the ODI Cricketer of the Year by the International Cricket Council. Sharma has been one of the most prolific batsmen of the recent times, we have lost the count of his best innings. Currently, the right-hander is also handling the reins on Mumbai Indians.
Rohit, who made his international debut in June 2007, has overseen a turnaround in his cricket career after being promoted as an opening batsman during the 2013 Champions Trophy. Since then the Hitman – as Rohit is popularly called – has hit three double hundreds in ODI cricket, four centuries in T20Is and became the first-ever to smash twin hundreds in his debut appearance as a Test opening batsman. Rohit is also currently the vice-captain of India’s limited-overs side and has also captained Indian Premier League (IPL) team Mumbai Indians to four IPL titles.
First Indian batsman to score T20 century
Neither Manish Pandey nor Suresh Raina, it was Rohit Sharma who created history by becoming first Indian batsman to score a century in a T20 game. His record often goes unnoticed as it came at a time when T20 cricket wasn’t that popular in India.
Playing for Mumbai, Rohit achieved the milestone in a T20 game against Gujarat. Team India’s limited-overs vice-captain now has six century in T20s – four in international cricket.
Rohit Sharma Interesting Stats From His Professional Career:
- Three of Rohit Sharma’s six hundreds in the World Cups came while chasing; the most number of 100s by any player in CWC chases. His four centuries while chasing in ICC ODI tournaments (CWC and CT) are also the most for any player.
- Rohit Sharma became the first player to smash a hat-trick of ODI centuries in England with the centuries in each of India’s last three league stage matches of the CWC 2019.
- Rohit’s five tons in the 2019 World Cup helped him to become the first player to score five tons in an ODI series/tournament. Overall, Clyde Walcott (1955 Test series vs Australia for West Indies) is the only other player to have scored as many as five centuries in a series/tournament in International cricket.
- All six centuries of Rohit in ODI World Cups came as an opener; the most ODI CWC tons for anyone as an opener. Rohit’s seven hundreds in ICC ODI events are also the most for any opening batsman.
- Rohit Sharma scored 648 runs in the 2019 World Cup which are the most number of runs scored by an individual during the league phase of a World Cup. Overall, Sachin Tendulkar (673 in 2003) and Matthew Hayden (659 in 2007) only have scored more runs than Rohit in an ODI World Cup.
- Rohit Sharma was the first player to have raised one of his centuries in all the three formats by hitting a six. Till date, Rohit has reached three ODI tons, two centuries in Test cricket and a T20I hundred by hitting a maximum.
- Rohit brought up his first of the three ODI double centuries by hitting a six off Clint McKay (vs AUS in 2013). It is the only instance across the eight individual double hundreds in ODI history where the 200-run mark was brought up with a six.
- Rohit became the first Indian to complete a double century with a six in Test cricket. Rohit hit a six to bring up his maiden double ton during the 2019 Ranchi Test against South Africa.
- Rohit is the only Indian opener to have scored centuries in all three formats of International Cricket.