Some exciting features have been announced for the next version of Apple’s mobile operating system, iOS 15.4, including the ability to use Face ID with a mask and access some snazzy new emoji. If you can’t wait, you can test them now in the first available public beta – assuming you’re willing to risk running into potential bugs. Here we will guide you through the steps to install the software.
Before we begin, here’s the usual caveat about installing unfinished beta software: these releases may seem stable for general use, but they may contain some bugs. Your experience may be different from others depending on the apps you use. And finally, if you decide to install, we recommend that you backup your device’s data in case things go wrong.
In addition, some new features may not be available depending on which phone you have. For example according to 9to5Macyou can only use the “Use Face ID with a Mask” feature if you have an iPhone 12 or later.
Finally, if you haven’t installed iOS 15 yet, keep in mind that these are the devices supported for that operating system:
- iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max
- iPhone X, iPhone XR
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus
- iPhone SE (first and second generation)
- iPod Touch (seventh generation)
How to install the iOS 15.4 beta 1
- Access Apple’s beta software portal from your phone’s Safari browser and agree to sign in with your Apple ID.
- Under the “Get Started” heading, select “Enroll your iOS device” if you haven’t already registered it.
- After you’ve signed up, scroll down to a reminder to make sure you’ve backed up your phone’s contents in case you need to revert to a previous state.
- Keep scrolling down until you find a button that says “Download Profile” and tap it. This displays a warning stating that the website is attempting to download a configuration profile. Select ‘Allow’. You will get a pop-up window telling you that you can set up the new profile from the Settings app.
- Open the Settings app. A new section called “Profile Downloaded” should be added at the top. Select it and you can access the beta software download.
- Select “Install” in the top right corner. You will need to re-enter your password and agree to the usual very long consent statement by tapping “Install” one more time.
- You may need to restart your phone to activate the profile.
- Congratulations, you made it!