New Delhi: Six Indian male boxers were forced to leave the Strandja Memorial Tournament that began on February 19 in Sofia, Bulgaria, due to injuries when the Ministry of Sports approved funding for the truncated team’s participation in the major European circuit tournament.
Govind (48 kg), Ankit (51 kg), Rajpinder Singh (54 kg), Dalvir Singh (63.5 kg), Rohit Tokas (71 kg) and Gaurav Chauhan (92 kg) were withdrawn from the tournament due to problems encountered during the training. The Indian men’s team’s participation has now been reduced to seven boxers and the squad consists largely of national medalists.
The women’s team has also been reduced to 10 following withdrawals by grieving Asian champions Pooja Rani (81kg) and Sonia Lather (57kg), who has not yet fully recovered from a glitch.
“The injuries occurred during training and while some of them wanted to participate, it was in their best interest to make a full recovery as major assignments such as the Commonwealth and Asian Games are scheduled for this year,” a source said in a statement. the press. Boxing Federation of India†
Meanwhile, the Sports Authority of India (SAI) said the government will bear the costs of the team’s participation in the event.
“Five support staff from the women’s team and four from the men’s team have also been granted permission to travel on payment from the government,” the SAI said in a press release.
For the women’s team, it would be handy exposure for the World Championships in May this year.
“Strandja is one of the oldest and toughest boxing tournaments. It’s a development tournament for us for the World Cup and we hope to check those few things that we expect from this competition. †
“We are focused on three parameters: physical preparation, technical preparation and the ring craft. Our boxers will be playing continuously for 4-5 days and we will be monitoring how they perform in the rounds.”
“From a technical point of view, we want to see where the boxers are now and how we can make them better for the tournaments to come. Likewise, we want to focus on ring tactics and how the boxer implements what she has been taught in training,” the SAI statement added.
India won two medals – silver from Deepak Kumar and bronze from Naveen Boora – in the latest edition of the Strandja tournament. However, the female boxers were unable to finish on the podium.
The Indian team will leave for Sofia early in the morning on Friday.
Mary Kom resumes training in Delhi
With the cold weather easing and COVID-19 cases also declining, six-time world champion MC Mary Kom returned to Delhi for a few days from her home state of Manipur to resume training here.
She had moved to Manipur last month due to the low temperatures and the third wave of COVID-19 in the city.
Mary Kom is not part of the team for the Strandja Memorial and is gearing up for next month’s trials for the World Championships.
Also read | SII CEO Poonawalla urges Djokovic to get vaccinated against COVID-19