Rice is a staple ingredient that can be found in most Indian kitchens. It is an integral part of our diet system yet very versatile. Japanese believe it is important not to waste rice. In fact it is considered rude to leave rice in your bowl! Rice is one ingredient which can proudly claim to belong to every cuisine.
During current lockdown, most of us are trapped inside our homes facing monotonous lifestyle. Those who are probably trying our hands at cooking for the first time might be facing problem recreating yummy recipes online.
A word of wisdom – go pleading your rice. With rice you can create most versatile, healthy yet easily cooked recipes. One, they are easy to cook. Two, they can be cooked in umpteen ways. Three, most of the rice recipes can be prepared within half an hour.
So, here we present to you 5 quick rice recipes that you can swear by during the lock down.
Chili Garlic Rice
One of the easiest Asian recipes that can be made in a jiffy. Fiery, Hot and delectable. It is an extension of the popular fried rice with a hint of chili garlic sauce. it is a great option for vegetarians as it does not require any particular side dish and can be consumed as one pot meal.
Chili Garlic Fried Rice is very easy to cook and yummier in taste.
- Wash and soak rice for 30 mins and cool completely.
- You can use garlic chopped & chili cut to flakes or blend them to a coarse paste in blender or hand pestle.
- Heat oil in a wide bottom pan and add the onions. Once they turn translucent add the garlic, ginger and fry for a minute.
- Add 1 carrot (optional), ½ cup cabbage, ½ capsicum and 5 beans.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes and then add sliced bell peppers or capsicum.
- Pour in the chili paste (or chili powder), soy sauce, salt and fry again for 2-3 minutes on medium flame till the oil starts to leave out the pan.
- Add some vinegar, soy sauce and red chili sauce. Add the cooked rice and mix well. Sprinkle some spring onions and serve hot.
- You can also add more vegetables, shredded chicken or egg to this recipe.
Here is another easy rice recipe that can be prepared within minutes.
- Add oil, and then add mustard seeds to oil in a heated pan and let it simmer.
- Add the mustard seeds and let it crackle, add curry leaves. Add asafoetida, capsicum, a pinch of salt, onions and mix it well.
- After 2 minutes add red chili powder, turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Leave for a a minute and then add tomatoes and stir.
- Add cooked rice and mix it well with veggies.
- Add salt to taste and coriander and stir.
- Stir the rice for 3-4 minutes till the entire rice gets a nice yellow color from turmeric.
- Cook for a minute and transfer the content into the bowl and serve with Curd or tea.
Indian lemon rice is a rice based recipe wildly popular in South Indian States as well as other places. It is prepared by mixing cooked rice with a special seasoning including lemon, peanuts and cashew nuts.
Lemon rice is one of the most easy and healthy rice based dish to make.
- To prepare lemon rice, first cook fluffy rice adding salt to it and keep it aside to cool.
- Add Lemon to rice. You might add 1 or 2 lemon depend on your requirement of tangy taste.
- Fry peanuts and cashew nuts in oil in a pan separately.
- In the pan heat 1-2 spoon oil and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begun to crackle, then add curry leaves, urad dal, dry red chili and chopped green chilies.
- After red chili changes color, Switch off the flame and add turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Add the mixture, cashew nuts and peanuts to the rice. Add lemon juice and salt.
- Mix the rice mixture and serve hot.
Indian Rice Paratha
Rice Paratha is a perfect way to use that leftover rice and make something healthy for breakfast the next day.
- Add salt and little oil in flour and make dough. Keep kneading the dough till it become soft.
- Stir the leftover rice to unclutter it well. Mix the rice, chilies, saute onions, green coriander leaves, red chili, cumin powder, salt and lemon juice.
- Prepare small dough balls. Press it into small circles. Place the rice filling on half side of the circle and close it by folding it with the other half.
- Place the paratha on the pan and cook it like any ordinary one using ghee, oil or butter. Flip the paratha and apply oil on both sides until you see golden brown spots on both sides.
- Serve Spicy Rice Stuffed Paratha with Chutney and Raita for a yummy breakfast.
Paneer Tadka Rice
- Wash and soak basmati (preferable) rice in water for 30 minutes. Have your starch free rice ready.
- In a bowl, mix gram flour, ginger garlic paste, curd, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and little salt.
- Marinate paneer (cottage cheese) cubes with mixture for 3-4 hours.
- Cool the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Heat a flat pan and add 2 teaspoon cooking oil. Fry paneer cubes until slightly golden on all sides.
- To cook the pulao, heat a teaspoon of oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and bay leaf. Saute for a minute.
- Add chopped onion and chopped green chili, paneer cubes, garam masala powder, turmeric powder and mix gently. Fry gently till onion changes color.
- Add 3 cups of water along with required amount of salt. Mix well and bring the water to a boil.
- Close the cooker and pressure cook for a whistle. Once the pressure releases naturally, gently fluff the rice with a fork. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve well with Raita or Chutney.