While many would argue that the superhero genre is being locked up by Disney and Warner Bros with their Marvel and DC properties, that hasn’t stopped other distributors and streamers from getting into the genre. Below, we’re going to take a look at all the superhero movies and series that Netflix has in development and will release in the coming years.
This list will no doubt have a lot of crossover with our upcoming comic book adaptation list, but there are a few that are on this list and not on that list.
Adapted from the Dark Horse Comics, this new series is overseen by Andrew Dabb, who is also working on Netflix’s Resident Evil series.
The show is probably Netflix’s best bet on the daredevil-big hole left in the library following the departure of the Marvel-Netflix series in early 2022.
Here’s what you can expect from the series:
“Follows a gifted fencer, writer and murderer, who wants to avenge the death of a lost love. He goes to the criminal underworld and wonders, why hit, if he can join them?”
Rapman is best known for directing the 2019 film Blue Story and will be directing and writing this new superhero series produced by Netflix UK and New Wave Agency.
The show is about a group of ordinary individuals from South London who develop superpowers overnight, with their only connection to each other being their skin color.
After the release of the anime series last year, Netflix is going to adapt super scammers again, but this time in a live-action series format.
The show is a series of superhero heists that centers on Johnny Bolt and a host of other super villains who commit ambitious heists together.
Other superhero series coming soon to Netflix
- Akin Omotoso Project (Season 1) – 6-part Nigerian superhero series about Kemi, a goddess who has been reincarnated as a human to avenge her sister’s death.
- Ragnarok (Season 3) – Final season of the Norwegian fantasy superhero series.
- Stranger Things (Season 5) – Eleven may have lost her powers, but she’s still a bitchin’ and will continue to be until the last season of Weird stuff soon on Netflix.
- Titans (Season 4) – Netflix only outside the US – DC superhero series.
- The Sandman (Season 1) – Coming in 2022 – Should this be included here? It’s based on a comic book and certainly has superpowers in it, although it fits more into the dark fantasy genre. We’ll include it anyway just in case!
- The Umbrella Academy (Season 3) – To be released on Netflix in June 2022 –
Superhero movies coming soon to Netflix
Not only are we getting a live action movie for BRZRKR, but we’re also getting an anime spin-off. Keanu Reeves is expected to star as the Berzerker who fights through the ages as an immortal warrior.
The Old Guard Chapter Two: Power Multiplied
Charlize Theron will reprise her role as Andy in this sequel to The Old Guard, which debuted on Netflix in July 2020.
Gina Prince-Bythewood is on board to direct the sequel, but unfortunately we don’t know how long this movie will be in production.
ball and chain
Netflix bought Ball and Chain starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt in May 2020, and little has been heard about the film since then.
Based on the Scott Lobdell comic, this is about a power couple who struggle in their marriage, but can’t handle it alone because their powers only work together.
Code 8: Part II
Following the success of Netflix licensing the first Code 8 movie, Netflix will release a sequel exclusively, which will be shot in Canada in late 2021 and through 2022.
This is what you can expect from the sequel:
“After witnessing her brother’s murder and ensuing cover-up, a teenage girl with abnormal abilities seeks the help of an ex-con (Robbie Amell) and his former partner-in-crime (Stephen Amell). Together they face a unit of corrupt police officers who are deploying advanced robotic technology to avoid being exposed.”
This film adaptation of Millarworld’s comic book series was first announced in 2017 and confirmed in early 2022 as the first major film release since Netflix acquired the comic book collection.
Prodigy revolves around a man of superior intelligence (think Tony Stark but more academic) who is asked to help the government solve problems.
The Russo Brothers are producing this upcoming superhero crime thriller directed by Rick Famuyiwa and starring Keanu Reeves.
Here’s what to expect:
“A former vigilante has been sentenced to life in prison and is arrested after stopping the worst act of domestic terror to ever hit New York City. The hero teams up with a disillusioned detective to track down his old nemesis, who has returned to threaten the city.”
Other superhero movies coming soon to Netflix
- Extreme Universe – Based on Rob Liefeld’s comic series.
- irreparable – Boom Studios! comic book adaptation about a group of superheroes called The Paradigm who must stop their former ally, The Plutonian, turned supervillain.
- Omega Girls falls in love – First announced in May 2019, we need to hear more about this upcoming superhero rom-com from writer Tim Dowling.
- Spy Kids: Armageddon – Robert Rodriguez returns to write, direct and produce a sequel to the children’s film franchise, Spying on children†
- super normal – Netflix bought the rights to this movie in 2017, but we’ve heard absolutely nothing about it since. Josh Gad was behind the project, along with Luke Evans and Daisy Ridley.
- We Can Be Heroes Sequel – A sequel series was ostensibly announced after the release of the family films in 2020, but not much has been heard of it since.