The cost of ripping and replacing Chinese mobile devices has risen by billions

The estimated cost of replacing Huawei and ZTE equipment in US networks has risen significantly. On Friday, the chair of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Jessica Rosenworcel, told Congress that carriers had filed for a $5.6 billion fee for “ripping and replacing” equipment identified by the U.S. government as unsafe. was considered (via reading light). In September 2020, the FCC estimated the effort would cost $1.8 billion, and by December 2020, Congress had earmarked about $1.9 billion for the effort.

But Rosenworcel said in a statement Friday that the FCC has received “more than 181 requests from carriers that have developed plans to remove and replace equipment in their networks that pose a threat to national security.” She went on to say that she “look”[s] look forward to working with Congress to ensure adequate funding is available for this program to further Congress’s security goals and ensure that the US continues to lead the way in 5G security .”

The Supply Chain Reimbursement Program was launched after intelligence agencies raised concerns about carriers expanding their 5G networks with equipment from Chinese companies such as Huawei. The FCC under former chairman Ajit Pai said ZTE and Huawei were national security threats, more or less blocking telecoms from buying equipment from them. But at that point, some airlines had already bought and installed equipment from the manufacturers, and smaller telcos claimed they couldn’t bear the cost of replacement (mainly because the main appeal of the Chinese equipment was its low cost compared to other providers).

The program is designed to “reimburse advanced communication service providers for costs reasonably incurred in removing, replacing and disposing of communication equipment and services” from ZTE and Huawei. After examining networks that had Chinese equipment in 2020, the FCC reported it would cost more than $1.8 billion to “remove and replace,” and estimated that about $1.6 billion would be eligible for reimbursement. .

While airline applications totaled more than three times the amount in the three-month filing window (which closed at the end of January), the final bill won’t necessarily be $5.6 billion — first, Congress hasn’t got the funds. appropriated yet. Rosenworcel too tweeted on friday that the applications have been assessed, so there is a possibility that the total will be less.

Frank Broholm had acquired considerable experience in writing and editing publications before recruited by The Media Today Chronicle News portal as Editorial Manager. His key task is to conduct effective business reviews based on the most recent business…