After a remarkable first season of The sound of magic, the whimsical k-drama lived up to fan expectations and more. But most importantly, Netflix is going to renew the series for a second season? Fans will hope so, but a lack of additional source material could get in the way. Here’s everything we know so far about The Sound of Magic season 2 on Netflix.
The sound of magic is a South Korean Netflix Original musical fantasy K-Drama series written by Kim Min Jeong, directed by Kim Seong-yoon, and based on the webtoon Annarasumanara by Ha Il-Kwon.
Abandoned by debts by her parents, Yoon Ah Yi supports herself and her younger sister. Despite how busy she is with her side job and her studies, Yoon Ah Yi is still one of the best students in the school. All Yoon Ha Yi wants is to grow up as soon as possible so that she can have a stable job, and when she reveals her dream to the wizard Ri Eul, her life changes forever.
The Sound of Magic Season 2 Netflix Renewal Status
Netflix Official Renewal Status: Pending (Last Updated: 12/05/2022)
At the moment of writing The sound of magic has been streaming on Netflix for just under a week, meaning we’ll be waiting a few weeks at the earliest to hear if the K-Drama gets a refresh.
The reason for this is that Netflix often waits several weeks to collect all relevant viewer data from around the world. What often determines renewal is tied to how many subscribers watched the series in its entirety, how many started but ended after one or two episodes, and total hours of viewing.
While we expected a stronger start for The sound of magic, nearly ten million hours of views in its first week of release is still fantastic. Not to mention that the show has broken through into Netflix’s top ten worldwide.
The sound of magic has already made the top ten of 42 countries around the world and has become the number one for multiple countries such as UAE, Sri Lanka, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia and Egypt. We expect The sound of magic to reach the number one spot in South Korea where it has reached the number two spot.
We expect to see rising popularity and enough millions of watch hours for Netflix in the coming weeks to determine whether The sound of magic must be renewed for a second season.
Does The Sound of Magic need a second season?
The elephant in the room when discussing a second season of The sound of magic is whether the story actually needs a second season. This is mainly due to the fact that many of the story threads seen in the first season wrapped up by the end of episode 6.
There’s also the problem with the source material, as the webtoon only lasted seven chapters, eight if you include the prologue. With pretty much all of the source material covered, the writers for a second season would have to go all out.
If the writers were willing to stretch the story beyond one season, then we could see some of the following storylines in Season 2;
- What happened to the wizard Ri Eul? After Ah-Yi used magic to help him disappear and evade the police, Ri Eul was never seen again. Will Ri Eul return to teach her more of his secrets as Ah-Yi begins to discover more magic?
- Will Ri Eul’s name ever be cleared? Framed for a murder he didn’t commit, Ri Eul’s name will be cleared for good in a second season.
- Will it give Ah-Yi the freedom to pursue a new career as a magician now that Ah-Yi’s father fulfills his promise to find a job to pay off his debts?
- Abandoned by her mother, Ah-Yi longs for her mother and leaves her messages and letters in the vain hope that one day she will return. As Ah-Yi begins to make something of her life, nothing can be more disturbing than her mother’s return.
- Ah-Yi has a potential budding romance with Na Il. We would expect this relationship to be explored even further in Season 2, especially now that Na Il drops out of college as he tries to take control of his life from his parents.
Want to see a second season of The Sound of Magic on Netflix? Let us know in the comments below!